Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for allRoughly half the world’s population still lives on the equivalent of about US$2 a day. And in too many places, having a job doesn’t guarantee the ability to escape from poverty. A continued lack of decent work opportunities, insufficient investments and under-consumption lead to an erosion of the basic social contract underlying democratic societies: that all must share in progress.
A few facts
- Employment growth since 2008 has averaged only 0.1% annually, compared with 0.9% between 2000 and 2007
- Over 60 per cent of all workers lack any kind of employment contract
- Fewer than 45 per cent of wage and salaried workers are employed on a full-time, permanent basis, and even that share is declining.
- By 2019, more than 212 million people will be out of work, up from the current 201 million
- 600 million new jobs need to be created by 2030, just to keep pace with the growth of the working age population
SDG Action Weekend
SDG Action Weekend, High Impact Initiatives: Global Accelerator on Jobs and Social Protection for Just Transitions
SDG Summit 2023
UN General Assembly, SDG Action Weekend, High Impact Initiatives
21 million euros pledged at UNGA for Global Accelerator on Jobs and Social Protection for Just Transitions
18 September 2023
Equal Pay International Coalition (EPIC)
18-26 September 2023